Shoes disgust me.

I started a new job today! I’m working at an adorable little shop in West Edmonton Mall called Ascension. If you’re ever at West Ed, stop in and say hi!

Now for the sad part… they make me wear shoes… :( :( :( :'(

I started out my first shift wearing these barefoot sandals. I made it about 4 hours before my manager noticed that I was barefoot. She didn’t seem too impressed and then very curtly told me that I couldn’t be barefoot there. I was like :sadface: but luckily, I had brought my trusty, although evil, Crocs with me. Yes, I own a pair of Crocs. I figured that if somebody was going to be mean enough to force me to wear shoes, I would force hideous, horrible Crocs upon their sight. Fair is fair, right?

Just let the lady be barefoot!

23 Responses to “Shoes disgust me.”

1. July 7, 2012 at 5:09 am #

What about wearing Vibram Five fingers? They have a lot of ground feel…

• July 7, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Five fingers are expensive! Anybody want to donate a pair to me?

• July 7, 2012 at 5:22 am #

Yea they are :( I don’t know why Minimalist shoes cost so much more then regular shoes! If I come across any I’ll send them to you! What size are you?

• July 7, 2012 at 6:03 am #

I’m an 8 in mens, or a 10 in womens.

• July 14, 2012 at 6:35 am #

I’ll keep an eye out in your sizes! :) How has your new Job been going?

• July 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

So far, so good!

• July 17, 2012 at 5:47 am #

That’s Cool! :)

2. July 7, 2012 at 9:03 am #

I have the same problem at my work to and I now I have rebuilt a pair of slippers the birkenstock type. I removed the upper part from the sole and I punched some holes at the side. I put some leather straps through the holes and tied the upper part on my feet. With long pants like jeans it looks like real shoes, but if you take a close look you can see it is not a real shoe. It has been working fine for me for two years now

• July 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

That’s very clever. I had a pair of shoes that I cut most of the bottoms out of when I was working in a kitchen and that worked for me for a while. I was thinking of making a sort of slipper out of strips of hemp and leather. A minimalist sandal of sorts.

3. Anonymous
    July 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

I’m really digging the barefoot sandals. Just lovely! Keep the barefoot pics coming! :-)

• July 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Thank you! Will do!

4. Anonymous
    July 11, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Sierra, did you do your interview barefoot?

• July 12, 2012 at 3:51 am #

Yes, but I guess they didn’t notice.

5. Jennifer
    November 15, 2012 at 4:32 am #

I HATE WEARING SHOES TOO. I have one queston. If say the resurfaced the street in front of your house. Would you walk barefoot on it the SAME day it was resurfaced to you could get bare feet on it ASAP?

• sierra
      November 15, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

As long as it was cool enough to walk on.

6. Santiago
    February 19, 2013 at 4:45 am #

¡Los zapatos sirven para esclavizar la libertad de nuestros pies…! Os admiro porque tu estilo es sentir el suelo que Gea nos obsequia…gracias

7. Neil
    February 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

It is great to see a fellow barefooter not afraid to do their thing! I am a barefooter and yogi in my late 40’s and refuse to wear shoes! Keep up the bare footing my fellow barefooter! By the way you look beautiful in your healthy and strong feet!

8. March 25, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

Ces sandales sont parfaites pour vous.
    i like yours barefoots sandals!

• sierra
      June 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

Thank you!

9. AsphaltToughenedSoles
    March 11, 2015 at 6:56 am #

I always wondered why the barefoot sandal strap loop went around the second toe, when it would look even more like a minimal flip flop if the barefoot sandal strap loop went around the big toe. Some leather flip flops even have such a thin sole anyway that from a distance away it looks like they are barefoot.

10. Tory D
    January 15, 2016 at 3:25 am #

It seems so odd that there is such a social stigma about going barefooted. I’ll be opening a coffee shop soon and will proudly display a sign “Barefeet Welcome”. Some state liability issues which is often not true. I remember one barefooter, when told bare feet were “unsanitary”, giving this great response, “I wash my feet every day…Can you say the same about your shoes?” Wonderful ! Also, think of it; barefeet in a store…Feet are on the ground, perhaps a little dirty, but on the floor, out of reach. Now the HANDS. Think of it. People wiping their nose and sneezing into them, then touching all of the merchandise with them! Come to think of it, when a clerk tells you their policy of “No Bare Feet”, ask then why they don’t have a policy requiring everyone to wear gloves! “Gloves Required” would be a better policy than “No Bare Feet”, when you really think about it.

• sierra
      January 20, 2016 at 4:03 pm #

Exactly! What is the name of your coffee shop and where is it located? I will have BarefootIsLegal.org add it to their list of barefoot friendly businesses.

11. February 13, 2016 at 7:01 am #

Thèse barefoot sandals are So pretty.
    Gorgeous !!